Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Give a Gift from the Heart, for the Heart


I always seem to have long weekends. What seems to be making them long is our social schedule. Apparently I need to add something "good" to every weekend. Lo and behold, a good cause appeared in my In Box today. Our friends Paula and Steve Cook, along with another family have started a run/walk to benefit Rady Children's Hospital Heart Institute, where their son Jake (pictured, right) received open heart surgery at the age of two. Max and Jake's Big Race will be held on Sunday, February 10, 2008 at Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego. A 5K run/walk begins at 8 am (a bit too early for me on the first Sunday with no football for the rest of the winter, spring and summer), and there is a 1 mile run/walk starting at 9 am (much more realistic for me!). Adult cost is $25 and $20 respectively. It seems like such a small cost to help so many. So I begin my spring training a bit early this year. Usually I wait until pitchers and catchers report. Heart defects don't discriminate. We can all dream for a cure, or we can help the scientists discover cures.

No comments: