Monday, June 22, 2009

Tapas Take Me By Suprise at Whisknladle

A good food blogger knows not to sample the food she is served before she snaps several artsy-looking photos. I, clearly, am not a good food blogger. I have great things to tell you, and almost nothing to show for it. Key word: almost.

I've ordered the spicy ahi with piquillo aioli and the salmon tartare from the $2 tapas happy hour menu at Whisknladle in La Jolla. And as quickly as they've arrived, I've already taken bites of both before I remember to shoot them. Then Lucien tell me the tapas change weekly at the Whisknladle bar. Mixed thoughts occur: I cringe, then get excited. An entirely new menu next week! However, I have no pictures of what I just bit into (because no one thinks a photo of anything with a bite out of it is appetizing). But I will have an entirely new selection to choose from next week. Which means I can't simply come back and order more of the same to take shots of. So, I give you my humble offerings of what is left of my scrumptious tapas and $8 tab.

Ahi with Piquillo Aioli


Salmon Tartare


Chorizo & Caramelized Onion Torto


Marinated Beets


When I was caught licking the piquillo aioli off the toothpicks left from my ahi, the manager offered me bread to sop it up with. What she actually brought me was bread, and butter that is mixed with algae instead of salt. Riiiiiight. What? Again, my knife went straight into the butter, even before I had broken a nugget of hot creamy bread to slather it on, that was supposed to sop up the pepper sauce! Ah, so much good food.

The salmon was diced and mixed with capers, onions and fresh herbs. Three grilled toast slices were tilted playfully on the side the bowl as if to say, “Go ahead, pile the salmon on me and take a gander.” And gander I did ... into lovely fish with bright flavors and a crispity, crunchity toast fork. I ran out of my so-called forks, but luckily I had a slice of the fore-mentioned bread left for the last few bites of tartare.

The chorizo and caramelized onion torto was not necessarily as described on the menu. Basically, the chorizo was served with eggs on a puffy corn tortilla, not a bun, as one might think. The slice of manchego on top added just the right hint of tang. It was curiously fun and I hope they include them on the menu from time to time.

To describe the marinated beets, let me first begin with this: I was raised on canned vegetables. Therefor, as a child I thought beets tasted like dark red dirt. I now know, for absolute certainty, this was a lie. Beets do not have to taste like dirt. They can be sweet, luscious and tender. The ones served at Whisknladle had just the right amount of Earthiness to remind me they were really beets.

I remembered the ingredients from the specialty cocktail menu for one drink in particular. As I watched Lucien the bartender combine Herradura, black pepper and blood orange juice, I inquired. Is that a Hibiscus Margarita? Yes. And he dribbled the remaining 1/4 of an ounce into a sexy little shot glass so I could have a taste. Brilliant, with all the flavors I just described. Who thinks of this stuff?

I'm going back for more. I will have a little self-control next time, so that I may share visions of these lovely delights with you.

Whisknladle is located at 1044 Wall Street in the heart of the village of La Jolla. $2 tapas are served daily from 5-7 pm in the bar area.

32 comments:

如此的 said...

廢話不多,祝你順心~^^........................................

準備吹發 said...

欣賞是一種美德~回應是最大的支持^^........................................

end said...

成人色情圖片激情聊天室火辣美眉520sex赤裸美女成人自拍貼圖18限性影片觀賞av色情影音聊天手淫激情成人聊天室成人色情圖片網sex520自拍走光照片淫慾18禁成人影音聊天美女台灣性網限制級女生手淫成人聊天春宮裙底風光情趣丁字褲極度震撼情色論壇露點成人視訊聊天avlive show愛愛明星露點台灣色情網站自慰少婦成人聊天網美女視訊成人頻道人妻熟女蕩婦一對多激情成人色情聊天室av成人上空秀巨奶視訊網愛聊天室一夜正妹色情貼片一對多免費美女視訊粉紅乳頭作愛影片美女聊天sexy成人色情圖片網女人胸部圖片視訊色情情色網站性關係辣妹聊天室大奶子

逸凡 said...

成功是一把梯子,雙手插在口袋裡是爬不上去的。..................................................

郭君 said...

If you can not be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. ....................................................

于毓于毓 said...

IT IS A VERY NICE SUGGESTION, THANK YOU LOTS! ........................................

BlancaMcleroy20147 said...

要愛你的仇敵,為那些逼迫你的人禱告........................................

韋成韋成 said...

ut聊天77p2p85cc85st85街視訊視訊聊天ava片a片下載成人情色色情影音視訊聊天洪爺影城洪爺免費視訊免費a片免費一對多utsogo論壇ut聊天室成人片免費看................

劉je217relacoste0 said...

may the blessing be with you.........................................

80808waldod_brogden said...

越來越多人看你的部落格 要繼續加油喔 ....................................................

嘉琬 said...

A stitch in time saves nine. ........................................

韋于倫成 said...

最豐滿最好之稻穗,便最貼近地面........................................

韋于倫成 said...

憂能傷身,保重哦!........................................

文佩齊華 said...

Well begun is half done. ............................................................

Eunic毓燕eMatte0215 said...

the food is delicious!............................................................

趙佳治 said...

謝謝您囉~~很好的經驗分享!..............................

韻枝 said...

你不能左右天氣,但你可以改變心情..................................................................

千TatianaCallan惠 said...

Make yourself necessary to someone...................................................................

孫陽泉 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼....................................................................

佳燕 said...

Quality is better than quantity.................................................................

佳蓉佳蓉 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

王名仁 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

ju吳phe宇te佳ns said...

很榮幸能到你的BLOG留言o^~^o..................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

Say not all that you know, believe not all that you hear.............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

脾氣與嘴巴不好,就算心地再好,也不算好人~~~..................................................

姿柯瑩柯dgdd憶曾g智曾 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。..................................................

鄭雅琦鄭雅琦 said...

世界上沒有本來就應該的事,因為老天爺也沒有劇本..................................................

琬安琬安 said...

堅持是為著某種目的或目標,而持續不斷朝向既定方向努力的一種意念。..................................................

林志莊麗芬易 said...

吾錯吾錯...我平時都好鐘意用呢d~而家學多好多~thx+0+............................................................

楊燕沛楊燕沛 said...

你不能左右天氣,但你可以改變心情.................................................................

陳陳昀人良喬 said...

真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。..................................................

惠宛佳桂 said...

Poverty tries friends...................................................................