Tuesday, February 19, 2008

BBQ worth a 60 mile drive?


The Bailey Barbeque at the corner of Main and A Streets in Julian, CA might just be the BBQ worth a leisurely 60 mile drive. President's Day provided the perfect opportunity to take a look at the eastern area of our beautiful county. We arrived around lunchtime too. Funny how that works out. Being tempted by the Monday Lunch Special of a half sandwich and a cup of soup was easy. Black bean with sausage soup was coming my way before I could even decide which type of sandwich to order. I went with beef, which wasn't as tender as the pork, but was still tasty! The bread these sandwiches come on is amazingly soft and delicious. If you are in the mood to do some sight-seeing in your own backyard, head to Julian ... and don't pack a lunch! The folks at Bailey Barbecue are ready to serve you some warm, fresh, home-style biscuits with your meal.
And when you are simply craving a tamale, Tacos El Panson, Tacos El Panson on Urbanspoona place right on El Cajon Blvd just east of Fairmont that makes great ones. Next time I'm going to try their gorditas. I used to think the gordita was a quasi-food invented by the Taco Bell Chihuahua. Apparently I'm not a very good Mexican. My Grandmother would tell you I'm Spanish anyway. I love beans, I love avocados and I love tamales. And I can't wait to try the gorditas at Tacos El Panson! I saw one being made and that's all it took. They make two fresh corn tortillas, melt cheese under them and then scoop a giant spoon full of carne onto the bottom one. This is then topped with any of the sauces you would like. I will get it all: cilantro, onions, salsa and of course guacamole. Then it is covered with the other melted cheese corn tortilla. All for $2ish. I would venture to say it would kick a Flatbread Sammie's ass. I'm sure I will let you know. I love Food Fights. Aaaaand a new blog section is born ... The Food Fight. Coming soon.

No comments: