Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Blue Fin Tuna is a rare and beautiful thing


Our dear friends went fishing on Thursday and caught a Blue Fin Tuna off the San Diego coast! The best part is, we were invited over for Sashimi night on Sunday. You know how I like to say that Culinary School is everywhere, you just need to know where to study? Well, I got to study fish filleting at its finest. Doug brilliantly walked me through not only the 19 pound tuna, but I observed quietly while he sliced the yellowtail too. I was so enthralled I couldn't speak at first. Have you ever heard of me not speaking?!

We all donned our pair of chopsticks, and popped yellowtail sashimi and poke as the appetizer, along with grilled yellowtail collar. I was excited for the belly, or toro, my favorite tuna cut. And it was everything I hoped it would be. Beautifully marbled and extra yummy. A few pieces of the tuna was seared with black sesame seeds for the two pregnant ladies. Man, I felt for them. But no raw fish for the pregos, means more for me! :-)

No comments: