Monday, June 30, 2008

More lamb chops, please!

We were invited to join friends at Solare,Solare on Urbanspoon a new restaurant in the revamped Liberty Station Saturday evening. I was kind of hoping they meant Volare because Mom just ate there the other day and reminded me how wonderful it still was. Anyway, we ate on these lovely oversize teak couches in the bar that reminded me a bit of an Asian living room. David, our server was very well-versed on their wine list. I sipped Italo Cescon Pinot Grigio and husband tried the Barbera d’Asti “Vespa” upon David's suggestion. We each enjoyed a slice of their cheese pizza and loved their cold cuts and cheese plate. The gherkens were sweet and adorable (as every gherken should be). Nicoletta and I went crazy for the shaved prosciutto and brie. I would've appreciated a couple of olives, of course.

The lamb chop appetizer was attacked by all of us attempting to get one more bite. We should've simply ordered another. It was cooked perfectly medium-rare and was exceptionally juicy. The horseradish potatoes underneath were music to my mouth.

Before we left, we were introduced to Mark who explained the chef's table. Yes, I said chef's table. The more of these we get in San Diego, the happier I will be! Husband and I are planning an evening very soon when we will be coddled by Mark and the rest of the staff at Solare. Mark already gave me permission to ask as many questions as I want. Yippee! As I like to say, Culinary School is everywhere, you just have to know where to study.

We want to go back not only for the chef's table, but because I'm always excited by a new restaurant. They also have a private dining room for about two-dozen people and a table to fit up to four people inside their wine room (otherwise known as: very romantic dinner). There are plenty of nooks for a fun night out with your loved-one or your entire family. Once I've gotten another opportunity to sample more dishes, you will be the first to know about my favorites.

No comments: